Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 1997 07:30:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@revelstone.jvm.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Non-standard crypt routine?

On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, Cliff Addy wrote:

> In the MS FrontPage FAQ from Ready-to-run software, they remark that you
> may have problems with FreeBSD because
>
>       "Apparently FreeBSD does not use the standard crypt routines."

Standard crypt routines are not exportable from the US, because we need
to make sure no nuts or foreign politicians get ahold of software that
might let them have some privacy, and we all know the good ol' USA is the
only source of encryption software.

Sarcasm aside, I think you just need to install the DES distribution.  Of
course, doing this after-the-fact may cause you to loose all your
passwords.

On a related note, the Burns-Leahy bill
<http://www.senate.gov/~burns/billtext.htm>; is to be introduced to
Congress Jan 28th, and calling your congressmen and asking him to support
it would be a good idea, for those of you who are US citizens.