Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 19:37:15 -0700
From:      Christopher Allen <gmfangs@asmrb.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem based on Handbook answer

I just installed FreeBSD, and discovered that my ports directory wasn't
current.

In <http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook28.html#30>; it says:
>Let's try something more ambitious now. Instead of getting a single port
>skeleton, let's get a whole sub-directory, for example all the database
>skeletons in the ports collection. It looks almost the same:-
>
> # cd /usr/ports
> # ftp ftp.freebsd.org
> [log in as `ftp' and give your email address when asked for a
> password. Remember to use binary (aka image) mode!]
> > cd /pub/FreeBSD/ports
> > get databases.tar.gz         [tarballs up the databases directory for us]
> > quit
> # tar xzf databases.tar.gz     [extract all the database skeletons]
> # cd databases
> # make install                 [build and install all the database ports]

I did all of the above, and grabbed a bunch of skeletons (www, net,
security, etc.) to my newly installed FreeBSD machine, and I used binary
mode to transfer.

However, when I got to the part to untar the files, I got the following
message:

>#tar xvf www.tar.gz
>tar: Hmm, this doesn't look like a tar archive.
>tar: Skipping to next file header...
>tar: only read 4672 bytes from archive www.tar.gz
>cerebus gmfangs 176 7:23pm /usr/ports #

This happened on the other files as well.

1) What is my problem?

2) Is there any way to easily refresh all the skeletons without
accidentally copying the distfiles/ directory? My ideal would be just a
script that would delete all the ports/ directory except for the distfiles/
and redownload the latest version.

.. Christopher Allen                          1563 Solano Ave., #353 ..
.. <gmfangs@asmrb.org>          ;->          Berkeley, CA 94707-2116 ..
..                                                     h510/528-9899 ..
.. <http://www.asmrb.org/~gmfangs/>;      f510/649-3301 o510/649-3300 ..