Date:      Wed, 05 Nov 1997 20:21:12 -0800
From:      Gene Minsung Kim <gene@nttlabs.com>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!

Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Nathan Vidican wrote:
>
> > Dear FreeBSd list,
> >
> > I am a new freebsd user. I just installed FreeBSd 2.2.2, I have limited
> > knowledge of the unix O/S, but am a fast learner. I have a few problems
> > thus far though, and I would like to know if you can help answer my
> > questions (listed below):
> We've all been there.  If you think your questions are stupid, consider it
> retribution to those of us who asked stupid questions before, and are on
> the lists now.  Not that I know anyone like that....  ;)
>

> > 1- When I press F2 for FreeBSd, the boot MGR gives me "F?" why? (I have
> > been able to use the boot disk, and boot the kernel from the hardrive
> > though, and I have tried "fsck", but still nothing?, have been using:
> > wd(o,a)kernel  when i get boot: on the boot floppie)
> It never rains, but it pours.  As a few guesses;
> 1) the partition isn't bootable.
> 2) it's too big for the BIOS to reference
> 3) something's wrong with your root partition.
> 4) I don't have a clue.
>
> > 2- How do i execute a browser, I have gotten PPP connections going, just
> > cannot seem to execute a browser, I have both Mosaic, and Lynx installed in
> > /usr/ports/www ? (I think?)
> If it's in /usr/ports, it's not installed.  you'll need to do this (as
> root)
> cd /usr/ports/www/lynx
> make ; make install
> This will pull down the code, compile, and install the packages for you.
> Note that for Netscape or Mosaic you will need to have XWindows up.

Just for your information, one "make install" will do everything -- it
implies "make".

> > 3- How do I check my e-mail? is there a good graphical software that
> > someone knows of that is ported for freebsd? if so, where can i get it?
> You can probably find a way to use Netscape's mail program.  I use pine,
> some people use emacs, elm, mutt, exmh, or a million other programs.  Get
> a concensus from the list on that one (jump in guys)

I'm using Netscape Communicator 4.03, and it works really great!  I've
used elm before, and now I don't ever want to return back to elm. :-)
BTW, if you want to use NC4 as your mail program, be sure to get the
latest version!  Older versions (I'd say it was 4.01 or something) have
a terrible bug which garbles all your mail folders if you use movemail
and mail filtering feature.

And fetchmail (or any other POP2/3 client program) + NC4 w/ movemail is
also a fantastic combination if you want to handle from NC4 local mail
(such as system maintenance messages) along with POP mail.  (Don't
forget to change the permission of movemail binary to 2555 and the group
to "mail".  This is not automatically done by the port.)

> > 4- When using "mail" to send mail, how does one send, I can enter the
> > subject, and then type a message, but then what? I also tried this "mail
> > whoever@isp.net >>somethng.txt" (using ee to create a txt file)
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Huh?  Shouldn't it read "< somethng.txt"?  :-)

> End with either a period (.) or a Ctrl-D (^D) on a new line.
>
> > 5- When I use a username other than "root", why can't I write to anything?
> > ee wouldn't let me save any txt files? to anywhere?
> Check the permissions; make sure the user you are has write permission to
> the directory;
> (let's say your username is user)
> cd /home
> chmown -R user user
> chmod -R 755 user
> user being both your username and the name of your home directory (the
> default)
> then (still as root)
> cd /
> chmod 4777 tmp
        ^^^^
Oops!  This should be 1777, or 5777 if you really want to set setuid-bit
on /tmp.  (Forgetting to set sticky bit for /tmp is a bad idea...  :-] )

> > 8- when using ppp, how does one leave the connection, "shell"? if i do
> > this, will the connection remain active, how do programs based for the
> > internet know if I am connected or not?
> If you shell out, the connection won't work right.  You'll have to start
> ppp on a different vty (say, Alt-F3), and when you establish the
> connection, leave it there and do your work from a different vty (Alt-F1
> or F2, unless you've changes /etc/ttys for more than 3 vtys)

Or, try -ddial or -demand options which are not interactive from the
first.  These are explained in the manual page.  (See ppp(8))

> > 10- last, but not least, is "perl" the perl5.003 compiler that came in the
> > ports collection? case almost all the perl apps won't work with it?
> This also I don't know about, other than the standard things to check;
> permissions? libraries it depends on? path settings?

Yes, the perl in the ports collection is perl5.  However, the
system-default perl (/usr/bin/perl) is still of version 4.0.  You must
install perl5 explicitly in order to use it.  (cd to the perl5 port
directory and issue a "make install".)

> > Nathan Vidican
> > 1 (519) 728-4190
> > nate@mnsi.net