Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 22:27:03 -0600
From:      "Brad Morgan" <B-Morgan@concentric.net>
To:        "Ben Smithurst" <ben@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD 4.4-RC1 ISO image on releng4.freeBSD.org

Ben,

Thanks for your response.  I've been looking at the FTP RFCs and this
appears to be quite a contentious (and complex) area.  I just may be stuck
with starting over until
I can get it right on a single try.

> > The FTP server on releng4.freeBSD.org responds to a REST command with a
502
> > status  but the text seems to imply that I can resume an aborted
transfer
> > for TYPE I files (which the .iso image is).

> are you sure your FTP client has done a "TYPE I" before issuing the
> "REST" command?

The client has NOT done a TYPE I before issuing the REST command.  This may
be
part of the problem.

> > Microsoft's command line FTP doesn't appear to implement the
> > necessary commands.

> quite sure?  I thought there was a "reget" command but I'm not sure, maybe
> that's only in Unix command line FTP programs (but I thought the MS one
was
> based on those).

I'm pretty sure.  Here's the output of the help command (Windows ME, BTW):

C:\WINDOWS>ftp
ftp> help
Commands may be abbreviated.  Commands are:

!               delete          literal         prompt          send
?               debug           ls              put             status
append          dir             mdelete         pwd             trace
ascii           disconnect      mdir            quit            type
bell            get             mget            quote           user
binary          glob            mkdir           recv            verbose
bye             hash            mls             remotehelp
cd              help            mput            rename
close           lcd             open            rmdir
ftp>

> Or you could try another FTP client... ws_ftp is supposed to be good and
> there's a freeware edition, check Tucows.

I tried ws_ftp and it wasn't any better.  Still couldn't resume the partial
transfer.
I'm pursuing this further (looking at more clients).  FTP Voyager is what I
have but
they want more money to upgrade to the latest version and their tech support
doesn't
seem to understand the problem at all.  As far I can tell, the latest
version has the
same problem anyway.

Again, thanks for the response.  I'll keep flogging away until I figure it
out or get too frustrated to continue <G>.

Regards,

Brad