Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 1996 10:27:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        David McArdle <david.mcardle@m130.aone.net.au>
Cc:        FREEBSD-INSTALL@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Press Any key to Reboot - HELP!

On Fri, 1 Mar 1996, David McArdle wrote:

> I have a dx266 with 12 meg ram and 2 X 500meg harddrives
> 1st hardrive is C:\----This is full of DOS
> 2nd hardrive is D:\====This is empty for BSD

OK.

> My CDROM is not compatible for some stupid reason although
> I have played with the settings anyway.

what kind of cdrom is it?  IDE?

> I then
> install Freebsd user install etc and carry out the normal
> install procedure from c:\freebsd onto D:\
> Everything works fine, it says "Congratulations" etc
> but when I reboot it comes up "Press any key to reboot"

Does FreeBSD fire up at all?  I think you've run into the usual
boot-manager-on-disk-2-doesn't-work problem.  :-)

Go onto the CDROM, cd \tools\dos, unpack and install bt17.zip.  That
should get you a boot menu you can pick DOS and FreeBSD from.  DON'T do
this if you are running a disk translator to support disks > 524mb
(ontrack, et al).

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant