Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:41:08 +0200
From:      Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
To:        The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org>
Cc:        Libh <freebsd-libh@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: disklabel can now display sub parts

--0eh6TmSyL6TZE2Uz

Thus spake The Anarcat (anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org):

> such. One thing: Qt here uses variable-width font, so the columns are
> not aligned. It would be interesting to have some "table" widget
> instead of "tabbed" listboxes.

That's on my todo.  Basically, I want to rewrite Qt's "tabbed" part
to use Qt table widgets to display correctly (== aligned).
So Listboxes could be used w/o tables and w/ tables.

If you need it, use \t alignment for now, and I'll implement it
ASAP.

> If there is no table widget available, I'll probably try to setup the
> label editor as a list of buttons/fields/labels in various containers.
> Then the problem will be of having this area "panable".

Ouch, no.  I already know _how_ to add support for this to Qt's
listbox widget, but it's an annoying task since you have to
recalculate for every add/remove of lines... .

I should do it, nevertheless.  Maybe this evening :)

> Note that the "available disks" listbox is doomed to go. That or the
> disk units from the "available partitions" listbox. I think the disk
> lines are important there because they delimit which partitions are on
> which disk, and inform about the space left.

Feel free to remove every duplicated code, and do more stuff.
To be honest, I didn't really design the diskeditor before
starting working on it, so if you find design issues now,
you should fix them :))

> Now, the thing is that if disklabel "replaces" diskwizard, users might
> be confused if they arrive to disklabel first and that there is nothing
> there (in the case of a new install). Logically, the fdisk operation

If it's still easy and straightforward to create those stuff,
I'm ok with those changes.

> goes before the disklabel operation... A workaround might be to popup
> the fdisk dialog before, but then on which disk???

That's why I did those initial screen :)

> I think, however, that we could expect that a user seeing something
> like:

Look good.

> Little quirk I haven't figured out, the disks get out backwards (ad1
> then ad0)...

Yeah.  Sort them manually in libh, we can't rely on kern.disks here.
I really don't know what happens to pcmcia disks anyways - are
they added to the end of the list? etc...

I haven't tested this yet, but looks awesome.
Will do tonight :)

Great stuff!

Alex

--0eh6TmSyL6TZE2Uz