Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 12:34:40 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        "Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor]" <sperber@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The dreaded ed1 device timeout

Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor] stated:
:
: I know it's been the subject of discussion a zillion times:
:
: I have a D-Link DE-650 PCMCIA Ethernet card in an ASUS P6300.  It
: works fine with 3.4PAO, and now I'd like to upgrade, installing over
: the network.
:
: 4.1 recognizes the card and probes it as ed1 at IRQ 11 (and only at
: that IRQ -- 5 and 10 won't do it).  However, irq 11 is also taken by
: pcic0, and I get a device timeout.  (The archived mails I've found on
: the subject recommend re-configuring pccardd on a *working system*.  I
: don't have one yet.)
:
: The working PAO installation, puts the card at IRQ 9.  Can I get
: sysinstall from the official boot disks to pass -i 9 to pccardd or do
: something else to remedy the problem?
:
: Failing that, I could do a CD-ROM install and post-install-configure
: pccardd.  How sure can I be things will work then?  I'd hate to lose
: my working 3.4PAO installation only to find out 4.1 can't drive the
: card.

Michael-

There are some issues with the way both if_ed and pcic are dfined in the
GENERIC kernel which may be causing this problem, combined with the fact
that sysinstall doesn't allow for a sufficient number of IRQ options....

Is IRQ 10 free?  You might be able to use the Command line configuration
boot option to change the irq of pcic0 to irq 9 and then have 10 free???
This may get you past the installation.

There may be an additional hurdle in that if_ed is defined as

device ed0 at isa? irq ...

Thus, it attaches it as ed1.  For pccard support, you really want this
to be

device ed

with no "at isa ...".  You might try tweaking the settings in
userconfig to disable it, but I am not sure if that will work
or not.

The alternative is to create a customized 4.1 kernel, gzip it, mount
the boot floppy and copy that onto the diskette version.  If you go
that route, change GENERIC so that

1) pcic support is simply

device card
device pcic0 at isa?

this puts the pcic in polling mode ... fine for install and will free
up an irq

2) if_ed

device ed

Hope this helps,