Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 2021 11:32:25 -0800
From:      Mark Millard via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
To:        tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
Cc:        Free BSD <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 14: Poll armv6 deprecated or removed

On 2021-Nov-4, at 14:18, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2021-Nov-4, at 13:39, tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:
>=20
>> On Thu, Nov 04, 2021 at 11:53:18AM -0700, Mark Millard via =
freebsd-arch wrote:
>>=20
>>> Without one or more developers willing to keep ARM11 based RPi* =
FreeBSD
>>> working as FreeBSD updates, the code will break. Other architectures
>>> have been removed for such. Folks that do not want to work on such =
code
>>> do not want to have to work on it to keep FreeBSD building and =
operating
>>> for other architectures that have active developmers/maintainers.
>>>=20
>>> If there were active FreeBSD developers for ARM11 RPi*'s, the =
removal
>>> would have been unlikely to be proposed at all, even if the use was
>>> minor. FreeBSD is driven by the developer context directly, not the
>>> usage context directly.=20
>>=20
>> OK. I can understand that. No developers want to work on it so no
>> interest. That's straightforward, logical, bad for me but I can
>> understand it and work around it. But that was not mentioned by the =
OP.
>>=20
>> On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 09:44:20AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
>>=20
>>=20
>> I'm objecting to this because "available and useful" is impossible to =
measure. "Available" is going to be a very large number, because of
>> the number of sales and popularity of these boards, and that they are
>> durable. So stuff made years ago can logically be presumed to be =
still
>> in working order. Even if 0.1% of rpi1b users used freebsd on their
>> boards, it'll still be a big number. FreeBSD does not record anywhere =
the context in which it is used. And "useful" depends on who is using it =
for what and is an opinion.
>>=20
>>> NetBSD supports a lot of systems that FreeBSD does not. That fact =
has
>>> never justified having support for those systems in FreeBSD.=20
>>=20
>> I'm not saying that. What I'm asking is the reasoning.
>>=20
>> "we don't want to support it anymore" is a reason
>> "no devs are interested" is a reason
>>=20
>> "the number of available and useful armv6 boards has fallen to almost
>> zero" is objectively false and so therefore is not a reason. And =
because
>> it is not a reason then justifications following it will also be
>> incorrect.
>=20
> I'll note that:
>=20
> https://www.netbsd.org/releases/formal-9/NetBSD-9.2.html
>=20
> indicates: ARMv6 (Raspberry Pi 1 only)
>=20
> so NetBSD does not have general armv6 support, just support for
> the RPi*'s that are ARM11 based. (Another page mentions RPi0 and
> RPi0w examples as "expected to work", although needing FDT files.
> See: https://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/raspberry_pi/ and its
> earmv6hf material.)
>=20
> The lack of a variety of sources of armv6 or ARM11 that NetBSD
> supports is likely a kind of property being referenced: even for
> NetBSD no other ARM11's are targeted.
>=20
> Basically, even for NetBSD, one has to be interested in supporting
> (some) RPi*'s in order to be interested in supporting ARM11. There
> is not much of any other ARM11 market for NetBSD (or FreeBSD).
>=20
>>=20
>> I'm interested to know what NetBSD's reasons are in having tier-1
>> support for armv6, but I'll ask that on their lists.

I'll also note that Fedora is at the proposal stage for
removal of armv7 (yes: 7) in fc37. From:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RetireARMv7

is (in part):

QUOTE
Detailed Description
The ARMv7 arm architecture was the second variant of the arm =
architecture that Fedora has supported, the first was ARMv5, the third =
is aarch64. The proposal is to retire ARMv7 as part of the Fedora 37 =
release. This will allow ARMv7/armhfp to be supported until the Fedora =
36 end of life in around June 2023.

Overall arm32 is generally waning with generally few new ARMv7 devices =
added to Fedora in recent releases. To add to that a number of newer =
Fedora features designed to improve speed and security of the Fedora =
release are causing 32 bit architectures in general primarily due to the =
process memory limit when linking large applications. The ARMv7/armhfp =
is the last fully supported 32 bit architecture, we still currently =
build i686 packages, but it's not shipped as artefacts.

Benefit to Fedora
The primary benefit is to maintainers of the ARM architecture, the =
various toolchain teams and package maintainers in general.
END QUOTE

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com