Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 22:27:07 -0800
From:      John Andersen <jsa@pen.homeip.net>
To:        Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net>, "Blane R. Boynton" <bboynton@u.arizona.edu>
Cc:        Lutz Horn <lutz@lutz-horn.de>, FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Disable Plug-n-play BIOS? (Was: Xircom CreditCard 10/100 Configuration)

On Monday 29 April 2002 12:41 pm, Mark Filipak wrote:
> "Blane R. Boynton" wrote:

> I'm a newbie and I'm am also having trouble. I remember reading somewhere
> that the Plug-n-play BIOS feature should be turned *off*. I just checked
> the Handbook and it appears to be silent on the issue.
>
> What is correct? Should the Plug-n-play BIOS setting be turned off?

Its not Plug-n-play "Bios" you are speaking of, but rather the
Plug-n-Play OS setting in the bios.

Saying No to this, tells the bios to go ahead and configure any
plug-n-play devices, rather than leaving it up to the OS.

Many times with linux and bsd having the BIOS configure the
cards was more successful than trying to get the os to do so.
With PCI cards this is seldom an issue.  With older isa
cards it comes into play.

I can't speak to the situation with 4.5, but older FreeBSDs
didn't do the plug and play setup correctly for my crappy
hardware.