Date:      Fri, 03 Feb 2012 22:49:11 -0500
From:      "Dean E. Weimer" <dweimer@dweimer.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: USB 3 / eSATA support

On 03.02.2012 21:36, RW wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 13:56:05 -0500
> Dean E. Weimer wrote:
>

>> It's Looking like eSATA is going to be my pick, to be on the safe
>> side, I could spend the $50 on a USB 3 card, and have it not work,
>> or
>> spend $50 on an eSATA card and another $40 for the drive doc, and
>> cable.
>
> Just in case you aren't aware, you don't necessarily need an eSATA
> card. You can get eSATA back-plates that plug into spare SATA
> connections on your motherboard.

That the board has plenty of, how does that work with removing the
drives?
Does it require a reboot?

I think for now I am going to build FreeBSD VM on my windows box and
dedicate it to running Bacula Director and Storage Daemon, I was able to
get a 20MB sustained through put through the VMware USB emulation
copying a file from an SFTP as I had no large files on the local system
from my test FreeBSD 9 VM.  Though now I don't know why I didn't think
to just us dd from /dev/random to a file on the disk, will likely give
that a try once my new VM is built.  This will get me by performance to
a workable speed until I can come up with a more permanent solution, and
keep me from spending more money this month so I have a little bit left
to add to my savings account.

I am also looking around, and I have enough spare components to build
another machine and just run it with the case open and do a shutdown and
swap hard drives, but I might go broke paying my electric bill if I keep
adding new PCs for everything.

--
Thanks,
  Dean E. Weimer