Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 2015 20:54:23 -0500
From:      Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com>
To:        Yass Amed <zagazaw2004@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Keep -STABLE updated!

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 8:36 PM, Yass Amed <zagazaw2004@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to clarify a certain info regarding FreeBSD -STABLE.
> Currently, I am running 10-STABLE and need to know if it is mandatory to
> rebuild kernel and world every time I sync the source using "# svn up
> /usr/src"?

A running FreeBSD system never needs /usr/src. But if you are running
STABLE (or CURRENT), sometimes you will want to look at the source to
something in the running system (usually because it just did something
unexpected...) and so it's helpful to have /usr/src match the running
system. So, not necessary but often a good idea.

allbery.b@gmail.com                                  ballbery@sinenomine.net