Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:39:46 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        anish_babu@excite.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 1150

Anish Babu Pillai wrote:
> Hi,
> I've never installed UNIX before. Can you please help me with it? Is there a page where I can find step-by-step instructions?
> Please don't laugh at me folks. I don't know which version of FreeBSD is 'stable' for notebooks. I don't know how much disk space to allott to UNIX. I have no idea on where to find drivers. Please help. The website is simply too vast for a novice like me. I have a fast Internet connection - downloading is not a problem.
> If this will help you answer my query, here is some info on the notebook I'm getting this afternoon:
> Dell Inspiron 1150 running WinXP Pro
> 2.8GHz Pentium IV @533 Mhs FSB
> 512Kb on-die L2 cache
> 512 MB RAM
> Onboard Intel ExtremeGraphics2 chipset that shares 64MB of system RAM
> AC '97 soundboard
> PCMCIA Slot (types I and II)
> USB 2.0
> DVD RW/+R CDRW Combo Optical Drive
> 40GB HDD

Hi Anish, try looking at the FreeBSD Handbook. You can find it here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

The most recent 'stable' version of FreeBSD is 4.10, however I encourage you to
give 5.3BETA a try - it has several very nice features for notebooks, and
supports most of the things you want to use on a laptop.  This list, and the
freebsd-questions lists are very helpful.

Welcome to FreeBSD!

Eric

Eric Anderson     Sr. Systems Administrator    Centaur Technology
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.