Date:      22 Feb 1997 02:52:14 +0000
From:      Paul Richards <paul@demon.co.uk>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Perl5 modules

Can we *PLEASE* rethink how this is done in ports. A lot of Perl
programmers complained at the time this was wrong and I'm complaining
again.

The only argument I heard in favour of the current scheme was that if
some hacker was looking for a package to do something, say web
related, then they'd probably go and look in www.

This is so totally braindead words fail me. If you program in Perl
a you *KNOW* what package you want. I just grabbed a program from
work, realised I didn't have a common package installed at home
and thought Ok, get it from ports but I'm buggered if I know of a
way of finding it in ports other than looking in each bloody
directory!

It would be so much easier if "real" perl programmers could go to
/usr/ports/lang/perl_cpan/ and see immediately if the package they
want is part of the ports collection or not.

The current scheme just isn't right and any "real" perl programmer would
agree (I think :-)

How exactly are we going to classify perl packages that don't fit into
our current categories anyway? The package I wanted turned out to not
be in ports (I did end up searching every directory!). If I want to
add it (Date::Parse) where do I put it?

Footnote:

A "real" perl programmer is someone who writes perl5 and treats
it as a "true" programming language rather than a scripting language.
Perl5 is *NOT* perl4 with bug fixes and enhancements, it's a totally
different beast altogether. This is of course my totally subjective
personal opinion :-)

--
  Dr Paul Richards, Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Internet: paul@originat.demon.co.uk