Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 19:28:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading and Use of this list (gentle reminder)

> A few FreeBSD users have not bothered to install the sources. Perhaps
> they have no room, or never imagined using them. This happens to apply
> to a lot of newbies because a lot of home user/learners are newbies.
>
> A few FreeBSD users don't have a good Internet connection. Perhaps they
> dial in from home where combined local or long distance phone charges
> and Internet time and/or bandwidth charges (both of which differ hugely
> for different contries) can get pretty costly. Around here, for
> example, a lot of Internet accounts charge by the minute or
> automatically cut you off after say 1-3 hours on line, in order to
> reduce overall usage. I suspect that a larger than average proportion
> of home newbies have limitations to their Internet access.

Sue raised some good points.

Resources Needed.
	Disk Space:
	  Installed Sources:		114683 K
	  Compile Time Disk Space:	113883 K
	    (This is only temporarily needed to store obj files.)
	Time	-Alot of time on a slow machine,
		Like 24+ hours on a 486

	Download time/Internet Connection
	  The hard part in getting the base installed.  Once you have a
	  base of /usr/src installed (even and old one.), its really quick
	  and veritably non-Internet intensive to keep current.
	  I download the changed src files daily.  Usually about 5 files.
	  Real quick and easy.

So if you meet these requirements, it fairly easy to keep current.  I put
a few lines in my /etc/daily and /etc/monthly to keep my machines current.
Disk space would in my opinion be the biggest figure, becuase you can let
it compile at night when the cpu is idle anyway, and download smaller
chunks daily while it is getting e-mail or something. So storage for the
/usr/src and the temporary /usr/obj directories are all that is really a
obstacle in this scenario.  You can learn how to do this very easily.

	-Chris