Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 1995 10:16:18 +0900 (JST)
From:      Atsushi MURAI <amurai@spec.co.jp>
To:        NETMGR02@CBE.AB.CA (Glen Larwill Network Programmer Analyst)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Slip or PPP dial on demand?

> I've been using a FreeBSD machine to connect to my employers Slip and PPP
> lines for a while now.  Everything works great.  I was wondering if there
> are any plans for adding dial-on-demand capabilities to slattach or pppd
> (or where ever it would have to be added) in the near future?

If you are running with FreeBSD 1.x, you can use a "iijppp" for
dial-on-demand.(ftp://ftp.iij.ad.jp/pub/network/iij-ppp/iij-ppp0.93.
tar.gz). And for FreeBSD 2.x users, We've already port them and
we will/would like to put on -current tree soon.

-----------------------------README-----------------------------------------
	    	README for User Process PPP

	         For Version 0.93 package
		      Oct. 15th 1994

		      Toshiharu OHNO
		     tony-o@iij.ad.jp

INTRODUCTION

 This is user process PPP software package. Normally, PPP is implemented
 as a part of kernel and hard to debug and/or modify its behavior.
 However, in this implementation, PPP is implemented as a user process
 with the help of tunnel device driver.

 Major Features

  o Runs under BSDI-1.1 and FreeBSD-1.1. Patch for NeXTSTEP 3.2 is also
    available on the net.

  o Provide interactive user interface. Using its command mode, user can
    easily enter commands to establish the connection with the peer, check
    the status of connection, and close the connection.

  o Supports both of manual and automatic dialing. Interactive mode has
    ``term'' command which enables you to talk to your modem directory.
    When your modem is connected to the peer, and it starts to speak PPP,
    PPP software detects it and turns into packet mode automatically.
    Once you have convinced how to connect with the peer, you can write
    chat script to define necessary dialing and login procedure for later
    convenience.

  o Supports on-demand dialup capability. By using auto mode, PPP program
    will act as a daemon and wait for the packet send to the peer.
    Once packet is found, daemon automatically dials and establish the
    connection.

  o Supports idle timer capability. If no packet activity is found certain
    amount of time, PPP automatically close the connection to save connection
    fee. Line monitoring function is available, too. PPP can automatically
    checks whether if peer is alive (by sending LQR or LCP echo), and if there
    is no response from the peer, PPP determines that peer has dead and close
    the connection.

  o Can act as server which accept incoming PPP connection.

  o Supports PAP and CHAP authentification.

  o Supports packet filtering. User can define three kinds of filters;
    ifilter for incoming packet, ofilter for outgoing packet and dfilter
    to define dialing trigger packet.

  o Tunnel driver supports bpf. That is, user can use tcpdump to check
    packet flow over the PPP link.

  o Supports PPP over TCP capability.

  o Supports IETF draft Predictor-1 compression.

Atsushi.
--
Atsushi Murai				Email : amurai@spec.co.jp
SPEC					Voice : +81-3-3833-5341