Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 01:14:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Richard Martin <dmartin@origen.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange Spam

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, Richard Martin wrote:

> Has anyone been seeing spam like this lately?  It consists of an
> unintelligible sequence of English words.  Seems to be just strings of
> randomly generated words, but I am wondering if there is something more
> sinister going on here. Someone accidentally send us an encoded message?

I'm wondering if this was an attempt to saturate Echelon by spamming
messages which are likely to trip its detection criteria (someone else
noted the right-wing and technical jargon). The (lack of) sentence
structure would probably flag it as a false positive (the NSA seem to have
some fairly sophisticated language analysis systems working for them from
what's available in the open literature), but the originator might not
have known how to create plausible english garbage messages.

It's certainly very strange.

Kris