Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:51:48 +0200
From:      Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        Peter Brezny <peter@cyber1.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: switch vs bridge (fwd)

Bill Fumerola wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Petri Helenius wrote:
>
> > > A switch replicates packets based on their Ethernet destination.
> > >
> > And how exactly would you describe a bridge then?
>
> Anything I say is going to be able to be picked apart,
>
> but a bridge replicates any data it sees for its destination network and
> just shoves it over.
>
> A switch makes an intelligent port-by-port decision.

99% of ethernet bridges out there have a forwarding table as the switches
have which are multiport bridges. It's a completely different ballgame for
token ring though.

There is no concept of "network" in ethernet so you cannot do any actions
based on the addressing other than learn where all the sources are. This
process
is equally the same for bridges and switches. (since they are the same)

Pete