Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 18:18:44 +0930
From:      David Lloyd <lloy0076@rebel.net.au>
To:        Samuel Chow <cyschow@shaw.ca>
Cc:        Cort Naegelin <jtylor20@attbi.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail systems

Samuel,

>         If you talk to three people, you get four answers on which
>         MTA to use!

I would tend to agree. I have seen internal company flamewars about
which MTA's to use.

>         I personally use qmail, and I really like it.  It is rather
>         simple to setup, comparing to the syntax of sendmail.  And
>         now that I am very comfortable with qmail, I am not changing
>         unless there are some very compelling reasons.  I have no
>         experience on Postfix.

The truth of the matter is, in my opinion, that SendMail, QMail and
PostFix will all do the job you want. Contrary to popular belief
SendMail + the m4 macros isn't hard to understand, QMail is easy for
those who use QMail but I tend to have to install it twice before I get
it right, and PostFix is good -- although I've never used it personally
but too many people whose technical opinion I trust have said that it's
good.

I tend to use SendMail, but that's because I'm stubborn and sometimes
old-fashioned :-)

DSL