Date:      03 Nov 1999 09:00:10 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /root permisions after installworld

Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za> writes:

> On Tue, 02 Nov 1999 22:24:20 EST, "Joe Gleason" wrote:
>
> > I assume this happens for a reason.  Rather than debating that, I
> > ask this:  How can I disable that for my systems?  How do I make
> > 'make installworld' (I assume that is what does it) not change that
> > permision?
>
> I could give you a patch that'd do it. However, because you're using
> CVSup instead of CVS, you'd have to apply the patch after every
> CVSup. For this reason, you're probably better off adding a chmod to
> your list of things to do after a ``make world''.

It would be a patch to /etc/mtree/BSD.root.dist, no?  Which isn't
modified by cvsup or make world.  As long as you merge the changes
to /etc correctly, this change should propagate quite easily.
Depending on how you merge the changes to /etc, of course.

The change itself, by the way, is to add a "mode=" statement to the
"root" line in that file.

Be well.