Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 22:06:26 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        thunder7@xs4all.nl (jwk)
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: something to add about SCSI errors?

As jwk wrote...
> First of all, are you still the maintainer?

I'm not sure who you mean by 'you' but let's guess that you want an
update to the SCSI docs part of the handbook. You are right that an
overhaul is overdue, and I intend (and hope to have time for..) an
overhaul. Things like Ultra SCSI etc come to mind.

> nor under FreeBSD.
>
> It turned out that one of the terminators was installed upside-down.
>
> Some note in the handbook that this is possible and not right would be
> nice, but perhaps a translation about these kernel messages:

That is indeed not right ;-)

> First of all, are you still the maintainer?

Stefan Esser does the ncr driver. He can probably decipher the kernel
messages.

> nice (I didn't think terminators even had an up or a down side), but

They do. It is a 220/330 ohm network for each terminated signal line.
You reversed the resistors, making a non-characteristic impedance
termination. Does not work well, but you may get by it if you're lucky.