Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 1998 16:50:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kyle Mestery <mestery@winternet.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Still errors stopping audio CDs in current

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> Kyle Mestery wrote...
> > On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> Looks fine to me.  You don't have a CD in the drive.  What happens when you
> have a CD in the drive?

hope.winternet.com$ sudo camcontrol tur -v -n cd -u 0
Unit is ready

Looks like that completes okay.

> That's quite interesting.  Something is causing the stop unit command to be
> retried indefinitely.  There are two possibilities:
>
>  - There is an error returned by the drive that is retried indefinitely by
>    the kernel error recovery code.
>
>  - There is an error returned by the drive, but the kernel does not retry
>    indefinitely.  It returns an error to the client program, which retries
>    indefinitely.

It looks like it's the program doing this, because if I run cdcontrol, play
a song, exit it without stopping, then stop the cdrom using camcontrol, it
stops fine, and prints this error message:

hope.winternet.com$ cdcontrol
cdcontrol: no CD device name specified, defaulting to /dev/cd0c
Compact Disc Control utility, version 2.0
Type `?' for command list

cdcontrol> p 6
cdcontrol> ^C
hope.winternet.com$ sudo camcontrol stop -v -n cd -u 0
Error received from stop unit command
(pass1:bt0:0:4:0): STOP START UNIT. CDB: 1b 0 0 0 0 0
(pass1:bt0:0:4:0): error code 0
hope.winternet.com$

> It may work better than the CD driver + cdcontrol.  The reason it may work
> better is because it uses SCSI passthrough, and does some things in
> vendor-specific ways.

Still downloading xmcd to try it.  Looks like I need an elf X11, which I am
also doing as we speak.:)

> Well, it looks like that the command is coming back, but it's getting
> retried infinitely for some reason.
>
> Here's something to try:
>
>  - go into cdcontrol, and play a track
>  - quit cdcontrol without stopping the CD
>  - type something like this:
>
>    camcontrol stop -v -n cd -u 0
>
> That should do the same thing as the CD driver's stop ioctl, but the
> command will not be retried it it fails.  The -v switch will cause
> camcontrol to print out SCSI sense information if the command fails.
>
> Hopefully that'll show us what the error is, and we can figure out whether
> the kernel would retry it indefinitely.

See above, it looks like it's the program that isn't handling the error
returned, correct?  I will try xmcd as soon as XFree builds for me, and xmcd
is installed.  Until then, I can just use camcontrol to stop the drive, as it
lets me get by.  Thanks!

--
Kyle Mestery
StorageTek's Storage Networking Group