Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 05:58:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        "Henning, Brian" <brian.henning@navitaire.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: grub experts

Hello Brian!

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Henning, Brian wrote:

> Hello-
> I know this isn't a question for the this mailing list, i have tried this
> grub mailing list and did not get a response.
>
> I am trying to install grub into the mbr of my hard drive from a floppy
> without installing the menu. Here are the step I am taking to do so. In
> freebsd I created a grub boot floppy. Then I created another floppy
You don't need a second floppy. Your floppies don't have to be
formatted. You just
 # dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
and then
 # dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
and your boot-floppy is ready.

After rebooting you have to type something like
grub> root (hd0,1,a)
            or whereever your bsd root partition is
grub> kernel /boot/loader
grub> boot