Date:      Sun, 9 Nov 1997 10:49:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best processor?

On Sun, 9 Nov 1997, Gary Palmer wrote:

> Which is the best processor for a SMP system? PPro or PII?
>
> Also, as an aside, looking at the Tyan Titan Pro board, I see you need
> `VRM's, but none of the online catalogues have such things. Do they
> come with the board?

In a nutshell:

1) PPro is faster than P-II (at THE SAME CLOCK RATE) for native
	32-bit code

--- BUT ---

2) PII is faster IN GENERAL after you consider the higher clock rate
	(233 is faster that Pro-200; 266 and 300 kick its ass)

3) P-Pro is currently "unsupported" by Intel. They are not making any
	other boards, BIOSes, etc., etc. They do not want this line
	to continue due to high production costs. P-II pricing is going
	down, but PPro pricing is actually raising (poor supply in
	the market).

4) Pentium II is more expandible (up to 500+ MHz)

5) Pentium II uses MMX extensions

6) Pentium II chipsets support AGP, UDMA, SDRAM, etc...

7) Pentium II uses Dual Independent Bus (DIB) and has twice the
	on-chip L1 cache (although L2 is running at 1/2 speed)

8) It has now been "tried and true"

That's my personal opinion. I know that Terry and some other's wont agree
:)

Kevin