Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:38:58 +0100
From:      Mathieu Arnold <mat@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sergey Skvortsov <skv@protey.ru>, perl@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: requst for review: PR/61621

--==========407E2811D1D105CDD17B==========

+-le 21/01/2004 18:06 +0300, Sergey Skvortsov =E9crivait :
|> |=20
|> | There is no guarantee.
|> | And I suppose building modules via Module::Build has some advantages.
|>=20
|> Well, the Makefile.PL are just passthrough that run perl Build.PL, and
|> generate a makefile that will call perl Build. When I started with M::B,
|> I redefined do-build and do-install... But I felt it easier to maintain
|> to just use the passthrough Makefile. You're right, there is no
|> guarantee that it will always be, but it has been so far :)
|=20
| This patch is intended to naturally support Module::Build-driven ports.

Yes, I quite see that :)
Bear in mind that when I started, M::B interface was still changing a lot,
and it was easyer just to use the Makefile.PL passthrough.

| The next step - move all perl-related stuff into bsd.perl.mk.
| So the minimization of handling logic is not so important.
| And all new logic also will be moved into new .mk

That sounds really good, I've been thinking about something like that for
some time now.

|> And you should define ALL_TARGET?=3D build so that it has a resonable
|> default I guess.
|=20
| Empty target also works.

It would tell people what the default target should be in case they want to
do as they do for regular perl ports ALL_TARGETS=3D"all test" they'll know
that it's not "all" but "build".

|> And, you'll have to account for M::B build process, it should use
|> PERL_MODBUILD=3Dyes, but it should not depend on M::B, or it'll kinda =
loop
|> :)
|=20
| p5-Module-Build should use usual "PERL_CONFIGURE" and redefine
| do-(build|install).
|=20
| Special check for portname 'p5-Module-Build' in bsd.port.mk is overkill
| and must be avoided.

That would lead to code dupplication, I don't believe it's good, but well,
if you think it's better this way :)

--=20
Mathieu Arnold
--==========407E2811D1D105CDD17B==========