Date:      Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:15:07 +0000
From:      jomor <jomor@ahpcns.com>
To:        dan@freebsddiary.org, "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: secure connection from DSL to DSL users

Dan Langille wrote:

> On 1 Feb 00, at 11:43, Chris Johnson wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 09:37:49PM +1300, Dan Langille wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to find a fast, cheap, and secure way to connect together
> > > multiple locations which have DSL connections.  For starters, let's
> > > assume three offices.  I've been told about skip, but from what I can
> > > see, it requires X.  Which is strange.  Why put X on a gateway?
> > >
> > > Has anyone succeeded in implementing skip without using X?  If so,
> > > how?
> > >
> > > Any other suggestions for the suggested connection?
> >
> > Try pipsecd. It's simple to set up and it works very well.
> >
> > /usr/ports/net/pipsecd
>
> Thanks.  pipsecd has been the common recommendation.  I'd rather
> use IPSec, but I am trying pipsecd first.  I reserve judgement on how
> easy it is to setup.  The documentation lacks a working pratical
> example and a step-by-step guide.  If someone can provide me with
> their conf details and the ifconfig -tun0 output, I'll document it so it is
> easy to follow.
>
> cheers
> --
> Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited [I'm looking for more work]
> The FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.freebsddiary.org/
> NZ FreeBSD User Group - http://www.nzfug.nz.freebsd.org/
> The Racing System     - http://www.racingsystem.com/
> unix @ home           - http://www.unixathome.org/

You've got docs? I installed the port and it doesn't even have  man page. I'm
looking to set up existing boxes running ipfw as tunnel end points. Let me
know if you need another tunnel end for testing. I need to get some secure
tunneling working over my DSL connection so I can tele-commute to work on
occasion.
BTW, pipsecd is an IPSEC solution AFAIK.
                    TIA   jgm