Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2023 22:25:21 +0000
From:      Frank Leonhardt <freebsd-doc@fjl.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg killed on FreeBSD upgrade to 14

--------------bIp731yCGNeEXNbHAbVNoBvm

On 08/12/2023 19:21, robert@rrbrussell.com wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 8, 2023, at 12:43, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
>> <snip>
>> I got "bad vibes" going to from 13.2->14.0 - warnings that seemed
>> reasonable about stuff missing from /src/ and suchlike that I didn't
>> expect to see, but no actual errors as far as I could tell.
>>
>> On completion, however, pkg was no longer working - the following error
>> message:
>>
>> 'ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.111" not found, required by "pkg"'
>> <snip>
>>
>> Has anyone else had the same problem, and what are the runes to avoid it
>> should I decide to have another go?
>> <snip>
> pkg-static bootstrap -f will force an upgrade of pkg from the package repository. After that several rounds of portmaster -af should find all the breakages.
>
> I have found poudrière to be more reliable at rebuilding everything than portmaster.

Thanks - I could could find an install the relevant library manually,
but I want to know *why* a standard upgrade on a vanilla installation
broke. Are there any undocumented pre-upgrade steps. Good idea to use
pkg-static to recover pkg, but I took this as a bad sign and did a
rollback. I suspect there was more than just this wonky about it.The
certificate login was also broken, and I'm sure csh being swapped out
would cause trouble too :-(

--------------bIp731yCGNeEXNbHAbVNoBvm

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
  </head>
        class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated moz-txt-link-freetext"
        href="mailto:robert@rrbrussell.com" moz-do-not-send="true">robert@rrbrussell.com</a>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:a85d66a9-528a-4b90-ac4b-a204009da334@app.fastmail.com">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">On Fri, Dec 8, 2023, at 12:43, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
</pre>
        <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">&lt;snip&gt;
I got "bad vibes" going to from 13.2-&gt;14.0 - warnings that seemed
reasonable about stuff missing from /src/ and suchlike that I didn't
expect to see, but no actual errors as far as I could tell.

On completion, however, pkg was no longer working - the following error
message:

'ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.111" not found, required by "pkg"'
&lt;snip&gt;

Has anyone else had the same problem, and what are the runes to avoid it
should I decide to have another go?
&lt;snip&gt;
</pre>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">pkg-static bootstrap -f will force an upgrade of pkg from the package repository. After that several rounds of portmaster -af should find all the breakages.

I have found poudrière to be more reliable at rebuilding everything than portmaster.

</pre>
      manually, but I want to know *why* a standard upgrade on a vanilla
      installation broke. Are there any undocumented pre-upgrade steps.
      took this as a bad sign and did a rollback. I suspect there was
      more than just this wonky about it.<span
      style="white-space: pre-wrap"> The certificate login was also broken, and I'm sure csh being swapped out would cause trouble too :-(</span></p>

--------------bIp731yCGNeEXNbHAbVNoBvm--