Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:46:28 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@bart.nl>
To:        PauloZenari <zenari@provide.psi.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Comparison with other POSIX operating systems

-On [19991124 04:25], PauloZenari (zenari@provide.psi.br) wrote:
>I want to know the main diferences between both systems. Is there
>anything that I can't do with Linux that I can do with FreeBSD?

Both can do about the same.  FreeBSD is a true Unix descendant whilst
Linux is Unix-compatible.

>Wich one is "older" or "more mature"?

FreeBSD.  It's a descendant of 4.4BSD which is a direct descendant of
AT&T Unix.

>And what about software to run under FreeBSD?

We have over 1500 ports at the moment and almost any Unix source package
can be made to compile with FreeBSD.  Of course we also have Perl,
Python, etc, etc.

>I've heard that FreeBSD can run Linux programs without recompiling...

Correct.  That is the linux emulator.

>If I have an already set up Linux box, can I simply change the kernel
>and stay with my old programs?

You can probably run your Linux programs under FreeBSD.  But most of the
time you can recompile those programs under FreeBSD.  (/usr/ports aka
the Ports Collection).

>Is FreeBSD better than Linux when working as an Internet server, or as
>an ordinary SAMBA or NFS/PC-NFS server on a local network? And what
>about hardware support? Witch one supports *now* most of the latest
>hardware?

We, the ISP I work for, only use FreeBSD for our servers because it's
more stable.

Linux support most hardware.  Although I tend to find the FreeBSD
drivers much cleaner than the Linux ones.

>hehehe... sorry about the rain of questions...

That's ok.

>and sorry about my poor english! :)

It's been very good actually.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<asmodai@bart.nl>                      bART Internet Services /