Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 1995 21:41:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>
To:        tom@uniserve.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        jleppek@suw2k.ess.harris.com, freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: ppp

> On Mon, 3 Jul 1995, James Leppek wrote:
>
> > How did you configure your netblazer(what they have) to do this?
>
>   IMO, Netblazer's don't make a very good PPP server.  I don't believe
> that dynamic IP assignment out of an address pool is possible with the 2.3
> software.  You can get different systems with proper PPP negotiation for
> much less.

You be nuts.

Netblazers certainly do proper PPP negotiation.  They can also, if you know
what you're doing, handle FIXED ADDRESS PPP accounts in a multi-POP
environment.

I have used them for more than three years now.  For flexibility, NOTHING
touches them at this point in time.

> > was it configured to assert a particular IP based on password like most?
> > As I indicated, I asked that they should certainly refused IP's they
> > do not have authority over as a minimum, but I have no "real"
> > ability to do anything. I also love to constantly hear "the windows
> > and linux users do not have a problem" AAARRRRGGGG
>
>   If you need to convince them that there is problem, see if the their mail
> server(s) is on the same subnet as the Netblazer and use that IP address.
> This will convince them quite quickly.
>
> > what is magic about 192.0.0.1? should ppp map a users configuration
> > request to some arbitrary alternate IP. Set ifaddr is there for
> > a purpose and even gives "ifaddr 0 0" in an example.
>
>   Nothing is special about 192.0.0.1.  No magic remapping should actually
> be taking place.
>
> Tom

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
Modem: [+1 312 248-0900]     | (shell, PPP, SLIP, leased) in Chicagoland
Voice: [+1 312 248-8649]     | 7 Chicagoland POPs, ISDN, 28.8, much more
Fax: [+1 312 248-9865]       | Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net
ISDN - Get it here TODAY!    | Home of Chicago's only FULL AP Clarinet feed!