Date:      Fri, 5 May 2006 05:48:02 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: isc-dhcp3-client-3.0.3_1

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 07:43:45AM -0400, fbsd wrote:
> Dear port maintainer Joerq:
>
> I installed the isc-dhcp-client pkg on my FreeBSD 6.0 system.
> I have this in my rc.conf
>
> dhcp_program="/usr/local/sbin/dhclient"
> dhcp_flags="-q"
> ifconfig_dc0="DHCP"
>
> I get these error messages over and over on boot.
> Have to reboot in single user mode to edit rc.conf to stop
> message by commenting out the ifconfig_dc0="DHCP" statement.
>
>  Can't bind to dhcp address: Address already in use
>  Please make sure there is no other dhcp server
>  running and that there's no entry for dhcp or
>  bootp in /etc/inetd.conf.   Also make sure you
>  are not running HP JetAdmin software, which
>  includes a bootp server.
>
> I have no other dhcp server running and there's no entry for dhcp or
>  bootp in /etc/inetd.conf.
>
> Is there something else that has to be configured to get this to
> work?
>

> Was using the built in dhclient but it does not seen to be
> functioning correctly since 4.11.
>
> 5.0 changed the  /etc/rd.c boot process.
> The dhclient-script in completely different between the base
> dhclient version and the port version. Neither script version
> uses the "recorder" statements to control the timing during
> the boot process when they get executed like the other
> services in /etc/rc.d do.
>
> The isc-dhcp-server port/pkg is working fine.
>

> The base dhclient works ok as long as one does not use any of the
> hooks.
> Dhclient-exit-hooks is not executing "if" logic or the logger
> command.
> It exhibits all the signs of being executed to early in the boot
> process.
> Trying to use the ports version with no joy.
>
> Review the question list for thread on this subject for more
> details.
>
> Thanks for any light you can shine on this.

I think maybe you're using the wrong rc(8) flags to adjust which
dhclient to use (the system-included binary or the isc port binary)?
Just a thought...

$ uname -r
6.1-PRERELEASE
$ grep dhcp /etc/defaults/rc.conf
dhclient_program="/sbin/dhclient"       # Path to dhcp client program.
dhclient_flags=""               # Additional flags to pass to dhcp client.
background_dhclient="NO"        # Start dhcp client in the background.

| Making life hard for others since 1977.                             |