Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2011 15:16:23 +0200
From:      Markiyan Kushnir <markiyan.kushnir@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-x11 <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ATI Radeon HD 4350 (RV710) on ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP hang at Xorg startup.

--00032555f11a21e08604991931cb

2011/1/5, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Markiyan Kushnir <markiyan.kushnir@gmail.=
com
>> wrote:
>
>> Another DRI-related freeze ...
>>
>> ATI Radeon HD 4350 (RV710) on ASUS P5K Deluxe hangs at the
>> startup of the Xorg with DRI enabled. Hard freeze, the Power Button
>> does not bring the system down. I could only use the Reset Button.
>>
>> % uname -a
>> FreeBSD localhost.test 8.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE #0: Mon
>> Jan  3 17:29:21 EET 2011
>> root@localhost.test:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MAREK  i386
>>
>> An older Radeon R200 on an Intel 945PRN worked OK running the same FreeB=
SD
> [...]
>> card using "hw.pci0.2.0.INTA.irq=3D3" loader tunable (based on the
>> $PIR table). With this separate irq, still no luck, not sure if I should
>> try it at all, since the card gets an MSI any way.
>>
>> I also tried a trick with forcing the libthr.so.3 linking into the Xorg
>> binary, discussed a year ago at:
>>
>>  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2010-February/009362.htm=
>>
>> I built the xorg-server with the HAL support, no luck.
>>
>> As a side note, each test of the Xorg was done on a newly started-up
>> system,
>> that is no previous "successful" X session took place.
>>
>> Since no Xorg.log.0 in such cases was normally available, I have collect=
ed
>> output from /var/log/messages. Because of the "hw.dri.0.debug: 1", the
>> output is quite huge, here are a couple of cases:
>>

>> http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/19=
60.tgz

>> http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/19=
91.tgz

>> http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/32=
38.tgz

>> http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/32=
39.tgz

>> http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/32=
49.tgz

>> Additional info:
>>
>> % devinfo -rv:
>>
>> http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/de=
vinfo-rv.tgz

>> % pciconf -lvc
>>
>> http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/pc=
iconf-lvc.tgz

>> The output of dmesg:
>>
>> http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/dm=
esg.tgz

>> The Xorg configuration:
>>
>> http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/xo=
rg.conf.tgz

>> I am aware that some video card + motherboard ensembles have issues
>> like this one, so I am curious if anyone could suggest a hint.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Markiyan.
>>

> There is the following list :
>
> http://www.asus.com/websites/global/aboutasus/OS/Linux.pdf
>
> The mother board P5K Deluxe does not appear in that list . It means that =
it
> is not tested and listed for Linux ( which is an indicator about usabilit=
> by Unix like operating systems ) .
>

> Also there is no any such name among  =A8All products=A8 list about Main =
boards
> :
>

> http://www.asus.com/AllProducts.aspx?PG_ID=3DmKyCKlQ4oSEtSu5m
>

> The following board ( if your board is exactly that one )
> P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP( exact match of names is very important ) is for only =
XP
> and Vista :
>
> http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=3D0e9NyGEDLjtBRtyB

You are right, the board is P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP. I have updated the
subject with the full name.

> If name of your board is exactly
>
> P5K Deluxe
> these are different from each other ( in the sense that , if one is worki=
ng
> with a Unix-like operating system , it does not make a guaranty that the
> other will work ( Please see the above Linux.pdf list and products in All
> Products list for similar sounding names )) .
>

> It could not be possible to see your dmesg because access to
> sites.google.com is prohibited in Turkey .

Sorry, didn't know of it. I am attaching dmesg, and others with this mail.

> To test your main board , you may install one of the Linux (  Asus is usi=
ng
> Ubuntu , RedHat , SuSe , Fedora ) distributions . If it works well , this
> may mean that FreeBSD
> related driver(s) has(have) problems .

I bought this board from my friend. He was successfully running Linux
on it, including Xorg + DRI. So looks like it's an issue with the
FreeBSD handling this board?

I have just got an idea to try an NVIDIA card with this motherboard.
Will let you know if it works.

> My expectation is that FreeBSD or any Linux will NOT work satisfactorily =
on
> that board
> because it is mainly produced for Windows means some circuits are not
> suitable for Unix-like operating systems . It may work for a while but it=
 is
> very likely that , at some point it will crash ( from my personal experie=
nce
> from another board ).

I also have the same feeling, but cannot certainly tell. I don't know
which details to give to help fix it. From the message logs (all they
are kernel-side) it's clear that some initial step went OK, and in all
cases the last message before the hanging is

 [drm:pid1960:drm_ioctl] pid=3D1960, cmd=3D0x800c6459, nr=3D0x59, dev
0x86f0a880, auth=3D1

The ioctl number (0x59, vendor specific) is defined as
DRM_RADEON_SETPARAM in the xorg ati driver's  radeon_drm.h. This ioctl
is called in several places to set GART parameters, tiling, etc... in
the driver code.  Looks like an attempt to set some video card
parameter makes the system freeze. I don't know which point is it in
the overall initialization path. I think I could trace it, if needed.

> It is not clear from you message that whether FreeBSD is installed in tha=
> board , or an installed hard disk in another board is moved to that board=
 .
> If previously installed hard disk moved without new install in the new ma=
in
> board ( I think , this is not the case ), it will surely not work .

Here I am not so sure on this point, since I widely use this approach.
I have a home file server, which runs OK both on a removable system
drive, which I prepared on a different system, or, if needed, it runs
on a network-mounted system drive, that is completely without its own
system drive.

In the case being discussed here, only couple of things is needed:
adjust the names of FreeBSD slices in the /etc/fstab file, unless they
were previously labeled with glabel, and "position independent" labels
are used; names of network interfaces in the /etc/rc.conf[.local] --
all this is pretty obvious in FreeBSD.

Before posting to the list, I also made a clean install on the system
without any hardware manipulation, and ran several attempts, so I am
pretty sure, the drive should not be an issue here.

> ( If the above links do not work , please access directly to Asus site an=
> follow links in their pages . )

Thank you for your suggestion, I will explore the possibility to try
different motherboard (and different video card). I will also think of
finding a way to fix the problem on the P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP. I am also
considering to post to freebsd-hardware@ and freebsd-drivers@ ...