Date:      Mon,  7 Dec 1998 19:22:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
To:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: resolver behaviour

Quoth Wes Peters on Mon, 7 December:
: > It would be slightly silly for you to configure your system to
: > fallback to its original information source, but not completely -- it
: > would amount to adding a retry.
:
: No, it would amount to keeping traffic off the slow link, and provide
: a backup in case the local caching server is off-line.  Redundant, yes,
: silly, no.

But why fall back to a source already known to provide defective information?

: I haven't missed your moving target, just decided, as apparently everyone
: else has, that it is too much a special case to bother with.

That may well be the case.  My experience is at best anecdotal and
quite possible unrepresentative.

: Most of the time when nameservers have bad data, it has little to
: do with cache pollution and much to do with incompetent management.
: Such is the case with reverse lookups on my domain right now; the
: named.boot file has the wrong .IN-ADDR.ARPA domain for my reverse
: file so it cannot possibly work.  Emails to my ISP have netted me
: zero results.  Is this what you're talking about?  ;^)

Yes, in part, although I the state of reverse lookup is so bad
that I'd prefer not to have to address the problem.

: I almost wrote in my last reply that such modifications may be of use to
: me, as I have a number of machines at my "day job" that are multi-homed
: and reside on disjoint networks, and have no way of providing DNS services
: on the internal networks without relying on DNS fallback rules.  We
: currently work around this by using NIS on the main net and placing all
: of the private hosts in the NIS hosts map, but this is an ugly solution
: at best.

Perhaps you missed the mail from Archie Cobbs about the forwarding
zone patch for bind 8 at ftp.whistle.com.  It addresses this problem
in a better way that would any proposal of mine, if you can run named.

: I'd prefer to see some way of giving the resolver a hint that the name
: you're searching for might be on the private network, rather than
: shotgunning name servers, but don't see how you'd implement that.  Perhaps
: by using the searchlist and constraining domains to servers, i.e.
:
: 	search	foo.com	foo.hack freebsd.org
: 	nameserver 202.202.202.202	# ns.foo.com
: 	nameserver 203.203.203.203	# ns.myisp.com
: 	domainserver foo.hack 192.168.204.204 # ns.foo.hack
:
: where "foo.hack" is your internal network for software development?

This is a good idea too, better than any of my proposals at addressing
the bullet item #1 problem, and avoids running named.
How about just extending the nameserver entry, with an optional
domain field.  The fallback algorithm remains unchanged and
the change is both forward- and back-compatible:

nameserver 10.0.0.1 .intranet.com
nameserver 1.1.1.1 .com,.org,.gov,.edu,.int
nameserver 1.1.1.2 .mil
nameserver 1.1.1.3 !.intranet.com # fallback for everything but .intranet.com

I'm pretty sure this will pass Vixie.

But I still would like to address bullet item #2, and I don't think
I've got a solution yet that will pass Vixie.

Quoth Don Lewis on Mon, 7 December:
: What do you do when the first server returns NXDOMAIN and the second
: server doesn't answer?  Do you bounce the email because all the responses
: that you got were NXDOMAIN?

Yes, the net result is NXDOMAIN, and the effect is to bounce the mail.

: In the case of connecting to multiple disjoint networks that use split
: DNS, I don't believe your scheme is flexible enough.  If example.com
: lives in network A, and example.org lives on network B, an MX query for
: example.org sent to network A's internal servers may well return the
: external DNS information (instead of NXDOMAIN) for network B, when in
: fact you want the internal DNS information for network B.  Your
: proposal would accept the undesired DNS information and return it to the
: application.

I agree.  Wes Peter's suggestion appears to address this case well, however.

: Even if you hack FreeBSD so that it does this, what are you going to
: do when your boss tells you to make this work with the Windoze,
: MAC, or other closed-source machine on his desk?
:
: I think a better scheme would be to write an application that listens
: on port 53 and forwards queries to the appropriate server.

Archie's BIND 8 forwarding zones patch does this, and although a
lighter-weight free cross-platform solution would be better, I don't
have any motivation to solve the problem for other platforms.