Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 2004 14:37:02 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Subject:   Re: [Going further OT] Re: Leaving a server on all day

On Tuesday 08 June 2004 01:45 pm, Jason Taylor wrote:
> Bill Moran wrote:
> > Nico Meijer <nico.meijer@zonnet.nl> wrote:
> >>Hi,
<sniping a lot off>

> Everything Bill is saying is correct.  The best way to cool is to
> move as much fluid (air is a fluid for the purpose of this
> discussion) as fast as possible across whatever is hot.  Of course,
> the fluid has to be cooler than whatever is being cooled.  A fan
> rotating at certain speed is going to push a given volume of air in a
> given amount of time.  By leaving the case covers on and providing
> only a few small "holes" for the air to travel through, you're going
> to force the air coming through those holes to travel through the
> case faster.
>
> That being said, if the case design, component placement, etc. is
> such that leaving the the cover off actually allows a significantly
> greater volume of air to get to the heatsink(s) in a given amount of
> time, then leaving the cover off is a good thing.

I have 2 identical machines (AMD 2400+'s) except that one has 2x120mm
fans (push pull) and the other doesn't. The one that has 1x120mm fan
has Sonata punched in the covers at the top  of the front and back
covers and that case runs 3-5oC cooler than the other case. I leave the
cover off of the other one to keep things running cool. They both run
setiathome 24x7 and generate equal amounts of heat. I don't like cpus
running close to 50oC or higher.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart