Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 1998 14:10:42 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        chas <panda@peace.com.my>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem allocation Recommendations.

On Mon, Jan 26, 1998 at 10:34:35AM +0800, chas wrote:
> Well, I learned the hard way that the default file
> system set up with the "(A)utomatic" allocation was
> not the most ideal for a mailserver :
>
> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/wd0a       31775    23647     5586    81%    /
> /dev/wd0s1f   1801823    66841  1590837     4%    /usr
> /dev/wd0s1e     29727    13940    13409    51%    /var
>

> Needless to say, /usr has been pretty unused and /var got
> full a lot.  So, I'm going to set up a new FBSD machine
> and move everything from the one above to the new one.
> Since I really would like to only do this once, could I please
> seek some advice from experience admins
>
> 1) My initial thoughts this time are to allocate :
>     50 MB to /    (my current 81% utilisation seemed a bit too
>                    close for comfort. i've had enough "root filesystem
>                    full" errors on other platforms)
>    150 MB to /usr (mail, httpd - and allowing for a few extras in future)
>    1.7 GB to /var (ie. everything else in /var since it needs it for all
>                    the mail accounts.)
>
>     Is there any reason not to go with this ? (any better method from
>     a maintenance standpoint)
>     My only worry is that in the past, /var sometimes got full because
>     of over enthusiastic logging (or when system errors were rife). It
>     would be nice not to disrupt mail in such circumstances.

I've always been opposed to creating more slices on a disk than
necessary.  In a case like this, I would definitely create only two
slices: / and /usr.  Create a directory /usr/var and a symlink /var to
point to it.

> 2) Transfering users - simply copy the /etc/passwd file and shadow passwd ?

No, /etc/master.passwd is the one you want.  Use vipw to create the
other ones.

> 3) If I remember correctly, on AIX, I could change the size of
>    filesystems in realtime...  yes, even decreasing them. Is
>    there no way to do this on FBSD ? (i fear that such a
>    useful feature seems to be unique to AIX)

Sorry, there's no way to do this with ufs.  It's not unique to aix
(the Veritas File System can do it too), but ufs can't.  If you
allocate all the space to /usr as I suggest above, you won't have much
trouble here.

About the only advantage I can find in multiple slices is that you can
ensure that the usage doesn't take over the whole disk.  This doesn't
look like your problem, but if it is, the BSD answer is quotas.

> 4) Do experienced users actually not allocate all of the space to
>    filesystems on installation and then allocate on a needs basis,
>    over the months/years ?

Not I, anyway.

Greg