Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:39:37 -0500
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Making DAT drive avail after reboot

Hello...  I've got a dumb question:

If a SCSI DAT drive (external) wasn't on when the FreeBSD box last booted,
is there a way to make it available without rebooting?   mt and dump aren't
liking it:

DUMP: Cannot open output "/dev/nrst0".

and

mt: /dev/nrst0: Device not configured

There is an (almost) really good reason the drive wasn't on: for some
reason, the computer will not boot if the drive is on at the moment you
flip on the power switch.  If you turn on the machine then immediately turn
on the tape drive (before FreeBSD starts booting) you're fine.  But if the
drive is connected and on, you get nothing from the computer... no lights,
nada.  Just a buzzing from the power supply that stops after a few moments
once you turn it back off.  Maybe someone has come across this problem and
could tell me what causes it (bad card? cable?) but having just installed
the tape drive and using available hardware (no real budget is available
for a non-NT server), I've been just living with it.  Sorry this last part
isn't FreeBSD related, but the first part is :)

Thanks!