Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 22:05:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does this idea have merit?

Hi Alex;  On 17-Sep-97 you wrote:

>  On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
> > In message <199709131739.MAA00426@watcher.isl.net>, Daniel Ortmann
> > writes:
> >
> > >On the other hand, maybe I'm missing something basic.  Is there
> > >some other way to find out (without forking a /bin/ps):
> >
> > cat /proc/*/status | grep ... ?
> >
> > Extending the tree in procfs is not for the faint ...
>
>  It probably is, but one of the things I liked about Linux was the
>  ability
>  to get loads of information about certian drivers by checking the proc
>  fs.
>  How hard would it be to impliment something like that under procfs or
>  say
>  under something else?

The problem with Linux's /proc is that it is very much a hack.  The
interface is simply too complex and bloats the kernel too.

I implemented, for the DPT driver, a much simpler mechanism, write a
command into /dev/dptX (such as ``echo -n "foo" > /dev/dpt0'') and then
read form /dev/dptX (such as ``cat < /dev/dpt0'').  Gives you the same
result, 1/10 or less of the code.
I ended up tearing most of it out;  Still took too much code in the kernel.
 In the newest DPT driver, you can acomplish the same with an IOCTL and a
trivial utility.  Some of our staff really liked the read/write interface.
Some could not stand it.  Same could be said about /proc;  It may be good
for certain things, but less for others.  I find the fs semantics in the
kernel too complex, butt this is just me being an old fart :-)

---

Sincerely Yours,                               (Sent on 16-Sep-97, 21:56:25
by XF-Mail)

Simon Shapiro                                                Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net          Voice:  503.643.5559, Emergency: 503.799.2313