Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2000 19:22:56 -0400
From:      Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>
To:        Edwin Reedijk <edreedyk@wirehub.nl>
Cc:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Panic

> Edwin Reedijk wrote:
>
> Last week i bought Redhat 6.2, after working with version 5.0.
>
> Now the problem is that i cannot install RH62 due to an probelm with the
> aic7xxx driver.
>
> I have a 2740 SCSI controller and when the installation program probes for
> the SCSI devices th system hangs and gives the following error message.
>
> Kernel panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT
> In swapper task - not syncing.
>
> Can anybody give me a suggestion on how to install RH62 or maybe anyone can
> tell me what this means and what is wrong.
>
> Thanks in advance.

There is a driver update disk on my web site that solves that problem.  You
will have to do some special work after the installation though because the
boot disk and install code do *not* install the updated driver like they are
suppossed to in 6.2.  Instead, once the install is basically complete, you
have to manually install the updated driver onto the hard disk, re-run the
mkinitrd script, and then re-run lilo to get the driver into your newly
installed system.  It seems like there might be a help document about this
somewhere on the Red Hat Support web site or it should be available directly
from the support people if you tell them that you are having problems with the
driver update disk functionality of the 6.2 product.

--

 Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>  http://people.redhat.com/dledford
      Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before