Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:06:06 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   portupgrade remarks

--KN5l+BnMqAQyZLvT

Hi,

I was just upgrading my ports with portupgrade, and ran into the following
weirdness: while upgrading security/sudo to 1.6.4.1, I saw an error
flash by at install time. Luckily I ran portupgrade like this:

portupgrade -sRa -L log. -l log.RESULTS

so I thought I would have some log of this error. Not so. In

log.security::sudo

I only found build logs, nothing more. Even weirder, when I manually did

cd /usr/ports/security/sudo
make install

it installed correctly!

Now, my hunch is that things went wrong because 'sudo' was temporarily
deinstalled, and with me specifying the '-s' switch portupgrade tried
to use 'sudo' to install. That's a nice way to shoot yourself in the
foot though.

Remarks:
- I think portupgrade shouldn't upgrade sudo when -s is specified
- I also think portupgrade's logging needs to be fixed - I'd have hoped
  to see something along the line of 'sudo not found' in the log.
- While I'm on the subject, I also think portupgrade is *much* too verbose.
  Logs should be as verbose as possible, but the output to the screen
  could be less unless a -v switch is specified, IMHO.

This message is meant to be constructive criticism, not a flame - I love
the tool, and it's been making my life simpler since it was invented.
So please don't take this the wrong way.

HTH,

--Stijn

--=20
] Nothing safer than a 'cat /dev/wallet | grep $price > real-person; \
]       mv $thing-to-buy $my-case
I'd prefer 'mv $thing-to-buy $my-case && cat /dev/wallet | \
	grep $price > real-person
		-- Anonymous, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org,
			in message <200108020628.IAA11775@hugo10.ka.punkt.de>

--KN5l+BnMqAQyZLvT