Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 08:40:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fully Dedicated HD may clobber some BIOS'

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Rahul Dhesi wrote:

> I see that there are some slight risks to being "dangerously dedicated"<
> if you are using a big-name system.

If I've correctly figured out what happened, then it's more than just
"big-name" systems. My SuperMicro box lost the boot blocks on reboot a
couple of times (seems to be related to booting with a floppy in the
drive). I suspect it was the anti-virus feature of the BIOS writing a
"good" MBR onto the drive. I've since disabled that feature, but not
tried booting with a floppy in the drive again.

Since the system came from a FreeBSD systems integration house, I'm
sort of surprised they left that feature on. Then again, they may not
have expected me to install 3.0-RELEASE as a DD system.

	<mike