Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 11:20:10 +0200
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        darrylo@sr.hp.com
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey), freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ncr 825 clone hunt

Darryl Okahata writes:
> > Does anyone know a source of ncr 825 clones?  I'm suddenly having troubles
> > getting the one from Tyan, and I need a new scsi controller for my new smp
> > system.  Thanks!
>
>      The only other one I know about is the Tekram DC-390W.
>
>      If STefan ever gets the 875 working, you'll also be able to use the
> DC-390U or DC-390F (but not the plain "DC-309", which is based upon an
> AMD -- and not an NCR -- chip).

Please allow me to add two comments:

1) Did you try a DC390F under FreeBSD-current, recently :)

2) Tekram offers (BSD copyrighted!) driver sources for their cards,
   including the AMD 53c974 based ones. See their Web page (sorry,
   don't remember the URL, but there was an announcement in a FreeBSD
   list, a few weeks ago). But those AMD chips are far less capable
   than the NCR chips!

If you are looking for a good NCR based card, then the Tekram DC390U
(with an Ultra-20 8 bit SCSI bus) and the DC390F (Ultra-WIDE), both
based on the 53c875, are definitely a good choice.

Regards, STefan