Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 1999 18:56:40 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jake Hill <jah@Nowhere.Alien.BT.CO.UK>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.2 on AlphaPC 164LX: kern.flp bootstrap problem

Please forgive what is probably a FAQ, but I can't find this mentioned
anywhere. My apologies also if this is the wrong forum for this question,
but I understand the -alpha list is dead now.

I am itching to try FreeBSD on my Alpha board (a 164LX with 512Mb) but
can't get past the kern.flp bootstrap. The output from SRM looks like:

>>>boot dva0
(boot dva0.0.0.0.0 -flags 0)
block 0 of dva0.0.0.0.0 is a valid boot block
reading 14 blocks from dva0.0.0.0.0
bootstrap code read in
base = 5e2000, image_start = 0, image_bytes = 1c00
initializing HWRPB at 2000
initializing page table at 5d4000
initializing machine state
setting affinity to the primary CPU
jumping to bootstrap code

At this point the bootstrap hangs. There is some bogus-sounding floppy
activity, but I don't think much is happening.

I read an old thread somewhere that mentions motherboard configuration
(i.e jumpering for the size and type of memory etc) but it's not clear to
me that this is the same problem. Also, since I don't have any
documentation for the board, I wouldn't know which jumpers to set anyway.
;-)

Do I need to tell SRM anything more than just "boot dva0"?

Many thanks for any help you can give.

/.J