Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 07:44:32 -0400
From:      James <James_Bond_79@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   complete system on a cd

First off I am not on the list so please cc me on all reply's.

I am interested on creating a complete system on a cd. I have had a couple of
thoughts on how to accomplish this and wanted to see what would be the
best/easiest way.

1) cd is a complete root filesystem from / up, bootloader will consist of
just a kernel which uses the cd as root. This seems to be pretty easy but
lacks the ability to make little changes to the running system.

Questions about this method: what is the best boot loader to use here,
cdboot? rawboot? how is cdboot used?

2) have the bootloader load a kernel and mfsroot from the cd (not from the
boot image) this way I can have a complete root filesystem on the cd, however
I am not sure if any of our boot loaders can do this, or how to configure
them too.

Thanks for any tips/pointers to docs/whatever else is useful

James