Date:      Sun, 03 Nov 2002 02:16:20 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/Mk bsd.port.mk

Kris Kennaway wrote:

>   * Improve the security-check target: [4]
>           - Look for setuid/setgid binaries, and binaries that include
>             calls to accept()/recvfrom() (which are likely to be network
>             servers or have network server capability)
>           - Check these binaries for insecure functions (if PORTS_AUDIT is
>             set in the environment, check for a larger set of functions
>             such as strcat/strcpy/sprintf)
>           - Report network servers that are started by default.

This change might be a little too sensitive:

===>  SECURITY REPORT:
      This port has installed the following files which may act as
network
      servers and may therefore pose a remote security risk to the
system.
/usr/local/bin/dig
/usr/local/bin/dnsquery
/usr/local/bin/host
/usr/local/bin/nslookup
/usr/local/bin/nsupdate
/usr/local/libexec/named-xfer
/usr/local/sbin/irpd
/usr/local/sbin/named
/usr/local/sbin/ndc

Of those, only irpd and named are actually daemons. While I'm all for
letting users know about potential security problems, I think we may
have gone too far here.

Doug