Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:27:32 -0000
From:      "James Green" <james@stealthnet.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Am I being hacked?! Strange connection attempts

> During the last few weeks (months?) I've been getting a few
> thousand of these into /var/log/messages:
>
> Feb 12 14:37:36 ninja ftpd[4697]: FTP LOGIN FAILED FROM
> mp-217-217-113.daxnet.no, johann

Someone is trying to connect to your ftp service and is being denied
acceess.

> And today, I've been getting about a few hundred of these
> (although all on different ports):
>
> Feb 12 14:56:16 ninja /kernel: Connection attempt to TCP
> 10.0.0.2:1433 from 61.153.3.67:2230

10.0.0.* is I think a private IP space for local LANs. Dunno about that.

> Excactly what is going on?

Well someone is probably portscanning your machine, finding interesting open
ports like ftp and attempting to connect to them. You can log this sort of
activity, check freshmeat.net for software and lots of sites for security
advice.

James Green