Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 05:16:32 +0000
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   psm and PNPBIOS

I recently got a new machine (DELL Optiplex GX110) which seems to work
fine with FreeBSD, except for a small niggle: If I include "options
PNPBIOS" in the kernel config the mouse doesn't probe properly,
however it works fine on my DELL Latitude CPx laptop.

The problem seems to be because of the order in which the devices are
listed by the PnP BIOS: on the Latitude, the keyboard controller
PNP0303 comes before the PS/2 mouse PNP0f13, so things get probed in
an order which works. On the Optiplex, the mouse is listed before the
keyboard in the BIOS, so the "unknown PNP device" grabs irq 12 leaving
psm unable to allocate its resources.

There seems to be some "notyet" code in psm.c which looks relevant,
but enabling it with the patch below doesn't do the trick. I guess
this is because at the time the probe runs the atkbdc hasn't probed
yet so isn't there to attach to.

Is there an easy way to fix this?

Tony.
--