Date:      Mon, 10 Oct 2016 07:49:07 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
Subject:   Re: 11-current becoming 11-stable

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 3:48 AM, tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a desktop that has run 11-current for at least the last year. I
> periodically rebuild kernel and world to keep on top of things. As it's a
> desktop, there are lots of ports installed. These are installed via the
> older cd /port && make install clean way, rather than poudiere.
>
> Basically I'm asking that, when 11-stable becomes available (as far as I
> can see, it's still at PRERELEASE), is it worthwhile/advisable to recompile
> all my ports after doing the make world & make delete-old dance?
>
> thanks,
> --
> J.

11.0-RELEASE should be showing up any day. It is on Release Candidate 3.

First, there is nothing outdated about building ports from source. The only
time using poudiere makes real sense is when you need to build a "standard"
set of ports for redistribution to other systems. If you are building for a
single system, it really is just an added complication.

The real choice is between building from ports or installing packages. If
you need to build some ports with non-standard  options, then using
packages may not work for you. Mixing ports and packages can greatly
complicate things and may result in unexpected issues, though it can work
if you are careful. For my server I use all packages EXCEPT postfix. Since
nothing depends on it, I am comfortable in building it from source whenever
it is updated. That saves me a LOT of time.

As to the need to update, most ports don't require rebuilding after the
move to 11. FreeBSD libraries use symbol versioning so that ABI should
never be broken when new versions change the API. The exception would be
contributed code that is does not have symbol versioning. The most
significant of these is probably OpenSSL. It is likely that ports that use
the base system library will fail to run on 11. If they use the port
version of OpenSSL or LibreSSL, this is not an issue. I strongly recommend
that you  install security/openssl and never link ports with the base
system libraries. If you have done this, it is likely that any ports will
need a rebuild.

There are several other contributed libraries that are not commonly used by
ports. These may cause some issues, but in general you can move from 10 to
11 and not re-build ports. You certainly won't need to re-build many.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com