Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:39:02 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Remko Lodder" <remko@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Jeff Isaac" <cineveggie.lists@gmail.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 7.0RC1 I386 - Sound not initialized when statically compiled  into	Kernel

On Tue, January 15, 2008 12:46 am, Jeff Isaac wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 21:03 +0100, Remko Lodder wrote:
>> Jeff Isaac wrote:
>> > Dear I386 List,
>> >
>> > Please forgive me if there would have been a better place to post
>> this,
>> > but I was not sure...
>> >
>> > I have been hjaving problems getting my machine to inistialize the
>> sound
>> > syustem at boot time when it is statically compiled into the kernel. I
>> > have added
>> >
>> > device sound
>> > device snd_ich
>> >
>> > to my kernel config and recompiled a couple of times - which the
>> manual
>> > seems to hint is all I needed to do - but the sound kernel module is
>> not
>> > loaded at startup. I have also attempted
>> >
>> > device snd
>> >
>> > since the sound man page seemed to suggest that the [device sound /
>> > snd_*] prefixes were going to be standardized. Again, the kernel
>> > compiles with these options but when installed, does not start the
>> sound
>> > subsystem. I have been manually starting it via kldload, and finally
>> > included it in my loader.conf for now - which works fine - but I would
>> > prefer to have this compiled into the kernel. I am pretty sure this
>> was
>> > all I needed under 6.1 when I had it on this machine some time ago,
>> but
>> > it's been so long that I can't remember whether there was another line
>> > in the config.
>> >
>> > Also, this may be related, but when compiling, the whole process runs
>> > and I get the three line banner stating that kernel compilation is
>> > complete. However, after that message, make tells me that it "does not
>> > know how to compile QSKERNEL" (QSKERNEL being the name of my kernel).
>> It
>> > spits out a similar warning after it completes installation. Is this
>> > significant? Am I not actually installing the patched kernels? or is
>> > this just an untidy finish that make spits out by default?
>> >
>> > Thanks very much for your help!
>> >
>> > ~ Jeff
>> >

>> Hello,
>>
>> this belongs on the multimedia list; sending this to -i386 to finish
>> this tread, and sending it to multimedia to initialize it there.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> remko
>>

> Okay, thanks. The description for multimedia said multimedia software so
> I wasn't sure whether kernel issues would be included. Thanks for the
> redirect.
>
> ~ Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Hmm this might indeed be related to the installation of the kernel...
did you isse a make installkernel KERNCONF=yourkernelname ? so that the
proper kernel is being installed?

(I didn't read this properly at first, but it should be a questions
question rather then a multimedia question, my apologies for the noise!)

--
/"\   Best regards,                      | remko@FreeBSD.org
\ /   Remko Lodder                       | remko@EFnet