Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 09:49:18 +0100
From:      "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'stanb@netcom.com'" <stanb@netcom.com>
Subject:   Re: X server has "too many" colors?

Hi Stan,

I've written a bit using Motif and Qt, and have never had any problems with
colour depths. This is more or less hidden from you (the programmer) anyway.
I do have one application (written by Mentor Graphics, not me) that barfs
with 16 bit colour depth though.

I believe there's no such thing as 'too many colours', and the vendor is a
bit cheeky by claiming this.It's more likely a case of a buggy program.

Regards,

Jeff

Stan Brown wrote:

>         I am trying to run a vendor supplied X task displaying on my
FreeBSD
>         machine. My FreeBSD machine is configured for 64K colors. The app
keeps
>         core dumping :-(
>
>         The vendor swears that I have "To Many Colors", and that it will
run if
>         I reduce my colors to 256. I really don;t want to reduce the
colors to
>         this.
>
>         Does this make any sense? How could to many colors cause a
problem? I
>         could see too fwe, but to many?
>
>         Any X coders got an opinion on this?
>
> --