Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:48:10 +0900
From:      Michael Westbay <westbay@seaple.icc.ne.jp>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
Subject:   Re: Java for FreeBSD

Reilly-san,

> I'm a little disappointed that it didn't actually solve the
> problem that I wanted solved: Java in a native web browser.=20

Applets do work in Konqueror (KDE) on FreeBSD with the native JDK.  The o=
nly=20
problem is that LiveScript (JavaScript) control over an applet doesn't wo=
rk=20
in Konqueror and some applets appear outside of the browser frame.

> Can the j2ee sdk (jdk13) be used to run applets, even in
> stand-alone mode?  I want to do GUIs, rather than server-side
> database applications.

I would recommend creating an application (as opposed to applet) and=20
deploying with WebStart.  That works fine on Netscape 4.7x, Mozilla, and=20
Konqueror (although I recall having to tweak some things to get it to fin=
d=20
the native JRE).  You get the advantages of an application (which could t=
alk=20
to a web service if you so chose) with the deployability of an applet.

--=20
Michael Westbay
Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/
Home:           http://www.seaple.icc.ne.jp/~westbay
Commentary:     http://www.japanesebaseball.com/forum/

Due to severe bugs in Microsoft Outlook, Outlook users may no be able to
read beyond this point...

begin =20

Your mail client is begin-bug free. ;-)