Date:      Fri, 01 Jun 2012 10:51:28 -0600
From:      Gary Aitken <ah@dreamchaser.org>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller23@insightbb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP networked printer -- hp-setup won't use, hp-probe finds

On 05/31/12 17:59, Thomas Mueller wrote:
>>  From Gary Aitken<ah@dreamchaser.org>  :
>
>> I've got an HP printer directly connected to the local network.
>
>> hp-probe finds it:
>
>> #hp-probe -bnet
>
>> HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.12.2)
>> Printer Discovery Utility ver. 4.1
>>    Device URI                                       Model                     Name
>>    -----------------------------------------------  ------------------------  --------
>>    hp:/net/Officejet_Pro_8500_A909g?ip=aa.bb.cc.dd  Officejet_Pro_8500_A909g  HP4356E6
>
>> Found 1 printer(s) on the 'net' bus.
>
>> However, hp-setup and hp-uri refuse to use it:
>
>> #hp-makeuri -ldebug aa.bb.cc.dd
>
>> HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.12.2)
>> Device URI Creation Utility ver. 5.0
>> hp-makeuri[63924]: debug: Trying IP address aa.bb.cc.dd
>> hp-makeuri[63924]: debug: Not found.
>> hp-makeuri[63924]: debug: Trying serial number aa.bb.cc.dd
>> hp-makeuri[63924]: debug: Probing bus: usb
>> hp-makeuri[63924]: debug: Probing bus: par
>> error: Device not found
>
>> When the gui comes up, only the USB option is enabled.  There is no parallel port active and no wireless on the box, but at least the network connection should be available.
>
>> The probe which succeeds takes several seconds, but the hp-setup gui and makeuri fail immediately, and the missing ability to set the network discovery option in the gui lead me to believe it's not even trying the ip addr.
>
>> Anyone with experience setting these guys up have any advice?
>
>> Alternately, is there anything other than a special lp filter really needed, and if not, any suggestions on the best one to use?  I looked at apsfilter but the installation SETUP driver options didn't seem to include this printer.
>> Thanks
>
> I have an HP LaserJet M1212nf MFP, and hplip/hp-setup in FreeBSD finds the printer all right when connected by Ethernet, but then fails on installing the required binary plugin.  Printer is not detected at all when connected by USB.
>
> NetBSD 5.1_STABLE i386 with hplip 3.11.1 built from pkgsrc-wip couldn't find the printer on Ethernet, next step is to login to wireless router, and/or check the dmesg.boot, and then use the IP address found therefrom.
>
> pkgsrc-wip URL: http://pkgsrc-wip.sourceforge.net/
> pkgsrc URL: http://www.netbsd.org/docs/software/packages.html
>
> I wonder if I should have bought a printer, non-HP, with wireless, as long as it also had USB and Ethernet capability.
>
> Seeing security advisories for FreeBSD, my next move might be to update the source tree by csup, then rebuild (RELENG_9: 9.0-STABLE) for amd64 and build for i386 as well.  Then I would have the possibility of building wine from the ports, and I could try the MS-Windows software.  I also need to update the other ports, including but not limited to hplip and dependencies.

I am in the process of trying to sort mine out.
Found this via one of the hp linux support pages
  http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/support.html
I'm in the process of trying to get mine working with their help.
We'll see how that goes; will post results.

In my case (network connection) they suggested running and sending them the output of:

$ hp-check
$ hp-probe -ldebug
$ hp-makeuri -ldebug <ipaddress>
$ hp-setup -ldebug <ipaddress>

I'm in the process of sorting that out, as it may be an issue of how cups and dbus are installed which may be preventing access (file ownership issues)

Gary