Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 23:34:47 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        CombsSF@salem.ge.com
Cc:        troy.curtiss@merix.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Remote dial-in/dial-out solutions??

Stephen F. Combs stands accused of saying:

> We use an Annex R4000 server here.  Works JUST FINE!  The latest release
> of the Annex S/W (10.1) even understands the RFC 1323 and RFC 1644
> extensions (release 9.x didn't!).  I've got about 300 accounts with more
> being added daily.  We handle PPP, SLIP and IPX (encapsulated within PPP).

There's a local ISP here with one of these units; about 90 dialins and
several thousand regular customers.

Generally, they love it, but the OS appears to be fairly laggy, and
flow control and throughput becomes an issue.  Sometimes they've had it
do weird things with their modems too, but on the whole it appears to be
fairly reliable.